I’m that weird natural mom

natural mom

I’m that weird natural mom. The one that doesn’t have over the counter medicines at home for my kids. The one that makes her potions (aka herbal syrups and tinctures). I’m that mom whose kids can’t have the chips that were brought to a playdate. Yes I’m even that mom that is gluten-free, dairy-free, artificial coloring-free, processed foods-free and so on and so forth.

I’m also that weird natural mom that doesn’t get an antibiotic prescription for every little thing that my kids get. I question everything. Everything. And I need answers to be able to make an informed decision. Saying things to me like “oh the risks are really small, don’t worry” NEVER cuts it for me. And surprise, surprise I’m the mom who also doesn’t fully vaccinate my children.

I keep things as real as possible with my kids. They aren’t getting artificial anything as far as I can help it. And I’m really quite simply just not a fan of chemicals and toxins in my home, so I even make my own cleaning supplies.

My kids know what a lavender essential oil blend and wouldn’t be able to point out a Tylenol bottle from a store shelf. And the last time I had to take my kids to the Doctor was a year ago because I use natural remedies for common ailments.

All this makes me a target – I am the target of assumptions and misconceptions. It’s assumed that I let my kids suffer in pain because I don’t use Tylenol. It’s assumed that I must not be sentimental enough because I don’t wear artificial scents. It’s assumed that I don’t care as much about my children, because I don’t rush them to the Doctor for a prescription the moment they sneeze. Oh and ofcourse that I am depriving them of childhood enjoyments such as more candy and places like McDonald’s.

Right.

Because I question everything, I make choices based on solid information. I research, I read, I ask, I ask again and I make informed decisions. So instead of taking a medicine with artificial coloring, my kids get a homemade herbal syrup with pure and natural ingredients. Instead of the Happy Meal with the Super Sized fries and coke, my kids get a gluten-free almond butter and raw honey sandwich made at home.

Why?

Because I want them to be healthy and as toxin-free as possible. Because I want to teach them that what goes INTO their bodies matter. And to empower them to know how to use our earth’s gifts for healing and health. Because even with our amazing progress in modern medicine, we actually have MORE sick people in hospitals and people getting ill than we have ever before. Hm. Interesting.

So call me crazy, call me a granola hippie (hey I don’t own a store called Granola Babies for nothing!), but me and my happy kids and family are keeping it real. As in real foods, real ingredients and real living…naturally.

• Delicious
  • Facebook
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • RSS Feed

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Phil December 29, 2013 at 6:32 pm

you’re pretty standard compared to this household.

Giselle Baturay December 31, 2013 at 1:20 am

You rock Phil thanks!

Laura December 29, 2013 at 8:26 pm

And we love you for it! Normalizing natural, and giving us all the tools to make our lives better as well. <3

Giselle Baturay December 31, 2013 at 1:20 am

Aw thanks Laura, same to you!

Evan Wiggill December 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Good for you!!! If you don’t mind me asking, what vaccines did you do?

Giselle Baturay December 31, 2013 at 1:20 am

Evan, actually….none! But I’m open to some if our circumstances were to change.

megan December 30, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’m wanting help on finding natural remedies for being sick can you help me please?

Giselle Baturay December 31, 2013 at 1:19 am

Megan I love the books by Rosemary Gladstar. :)

Stephany January 3, 2014 at 5:54 am

I think you are AWESOME and an inspiration to us all! thank you for sharing all of your wonderful knowledge with us. Nobody in my circle of friends and family CD, EBF, nor do they use essential oils and/or herbs for healing. At times I feel alone without much support (I only get it from my husband….he’s great!), but then I recall the names Giselle and Granola Babies and I remind myself there are many others out there just like me!

Giselle Baturay February 14, 2014 at 9:10 am

There sure are mama! Hope you get to meet some of them locally. Once you find your tribe, you’ll think your hippie ways ARE the norm and totally forget that not everyone does things like this.

The Cozy Kangaroo January 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm

What you said sounds pretty normal to me. I’ll take my amber necklace over Tylenol any day!

Elizabeth January 13, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I just want to let you know that you inspired me to start on my own herbal medicine/ natural remedies journey– one year ago, I had a “traditional” medicine cabinet, and yesterday I was laughing with my husband that we have nothing but essential oils and homemade tinctures and salves in our medicine cabinet today! I started by trying the recipe you posted a while back for making a chamomile syrup, then moved on to making some infusions…then I bought a book by Rosemary Gladstar and haven’t looked back! Thank you :)

Giselle Baturay February 14, 2014 at 9:11 am

Thank you for sharing that Elizabeth…I sure do love Rosemary Gladstar and her simple and at the same time deep ways to natural living.

Nicole January 20, 2014 at 10:05 pm

It took a bout of excezma for one of my children for me to get into “natural living”. We haven’t completely banned processed foods (my kids are at that age where they go to their friends houses where processed food is the bulk of what is available) but they definitely can tell whent hey haven’t been eating well…it’s been a slow process for us but we are getting there.

Natalia Kim January 24, 2014 at 6:43 pm

That’s how we were raised in Venezuela…I don’t think you’re crazy at all…I think the opposite is crazy. I wish I was as all in as you are! I try my best. I def research everything a ton…my baby is only 4-months and I already feel like I’ve gone to mommy university and back! So much to learn. Thanks for being a super amazing resource and inspiration.

Connie February 14, 2014 at 3:52 am

Awesome! I feel the same way!! The things we choose for our children will make a lifetime of differences!

Giselle Baturay February 14, 2014 at 9:06 am

So true Connie!

Cyndy Parkinson March 18, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Giselle you’re website is so refreshing, music to my soul. My 7 children are grown and I have 21 grandchildren who I am trying to teach the things I have learned since my bout with cancer 6 years ago. I’ve learned that cancer, disease, toxins, even fat cells can’t thrive in an alkaline environment. So if we eat greens and heathy vegan protein, rather than GMO’s, sugar and preservatives, we don’t get sick. I’ve been drinking a sevenpoint2 green shake every day for 2 1/2 yrs now. Never felt better. Never get sick. Nothing healthier or better tasting for my grandchildren. I would certainly raise my own children differently knowing what I do now. Just keep being that weird natural mom. You’re AWESOME!